Friday, March 25, 2011

Christmas at Gretna Christian Church

Gretna Christian Church 100th Anniversary
Minister:  Dwight Mays
111 Leftwich Street
Gretna, Virginia
Mailing Address: Post Office Box 644 Gretna, Virginia 24557

Christmas Time was a wonderful time at Gretna Christian.  All through the fall we would practice our Christmas play and our songs.  We always celebrated Christmas on the Sunday night before Christmas.  A day or two before that Sunday we would prepare brown lunch bags  of treats to give out after the play.  There would be an orange and some raisins.  I don't remember what else was in the bag, but I do remember making them and getting them fondly.  I know in these days that getting a brown lunch bag full of little treats may seem like nothing, but we really enjoyed getting them.  Santa Claus would come too and give out gifts.  We had a wonderful time.  Below is some pictures from the present church and the past.



I found this picture in a old picture album of my mother's. If anyone knows the name of this pretty little angel, just write or call and I will add to the post. This was before they bought the new organ.  The older organ sat on the left hand side of the church with the choir.  This section was reserved for the baptismal and youth choir.



Here's some more little angels with Santa Claus.  The only one I know is Leslie Dalton on the far left.

As before I would like to share pictures of all members of the church.  If you would like to send a picture by e-mail, my e-mails are janice_poole@yahoo.com or poolejanice@gmail.com.  If you cannot send e-mail, we can make other arrangements also.


Thank you:

Mark E. Poole  photos
Disciples of Christ Historical Society 
Gretna Christian Church
Atha Bailey

No comments:

Post a Comment