Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memorial Day May 29, 2011


My mother sent me this picture of my Uncle Clarence Bailey's funeral in June of 1953 which took place at Gretna Christian Church.  He was a much loved young man that lost his life in the Korean War.  Below the picture I have posted the poem by Rupert Brooke.  I have changed some of the wording, but none of the meaning.







If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever Virginia.  There shall be
In that rich earth a richer dust concealed,
A dust whom Virginia bore, shaped, made aware
Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,
A body of Virginia's, breathing Virginia air,
Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home. And think, this heart, all evil shed away,
A pulse in the eternal mind, no less
Gives somewhere back the thoughts by Virginia given
Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day; And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,
In hearts at peace, under a Virginia heaven.


No comments:

Post a Comment